Friday, May 6, 2011

getting greener by the season...


You know the saying "Happy wife, happy life". Yeah......Mama wants a garden. Mama wants to use hand tools and build something. I sketched and dreamt of the garden that would feed my family and nourish....blah, blah...mama wants to use hand tools! My sweet hubs just rolls his eyes and braces himself for the next "kate" project I think up. (House swap, anyone?) The whole point is to grow the veg and save money so why would I go to my favorite store in the universe--THE Home Depot--when I can forage for free lumber in our yard. Yeah, if you've been to the Acres you know what I'm talking about.  That pile you walk by and think...."I can't believe I know someone who lives like this". Yep....
This corner in the yard will do just fine. Let's get started....

 Andy was my assistant for this project. It suits him. He, for the most part, zipped his lip and just let me go to town. Good man....I learned alot from deciphering his grunts and winces....The boys jumped right in and began measuring and marking the wood. Logan apparently got a little carried away....
 "It's okay, honey. Bath day is coming up in a few days so you can just wear a hat until then, pass mommy THE tool". What tool, you ask? This one.....
                                A cordless, framing nailer. I know. Take a minute to soak in all the majesty.


 Who is this kid's mother?  Can you even breathe in there? Does your mother realize that there is not 4 inches of snow on the ground?  Poor thing.....

 My sweet boys love to get right in there and help. My hubs does a great job of showing the boys what needs to be done and letting them go to it!
                                              It's hard work being a 2 year old Master Carpenter.
 I wanted to sink 2 4x4's 2 feet down and then add a cross piece to hang some buckets for homemade "topsy turvy" type tomatoes. "Honey, I want to take some pictures will you just do a couple of scoops?  Oh, I had my finger on the lense will you do some more scoops? Oh, I'm so sorry, I really wanted to do this part but I forgot to put the photo card in, keep scooping."


Thanks, babe for being a great assistant. I can't wait to get a couple yards of dirt and get our garden in!

No comments:

Post a Comment